Constitution of Friends of Purley Barn
The name of the organisation shall be Friends of Purley Barn (hereinafter called FOPB)
The object of FOPB shall be to highlight and promote the activities held in the Barn, having regard to health and well being coupled with social interaction for the benefit of residents of Purley on Thames. Any funds raised from these activities will be donated to support new and existing activities held in the Barn.
3. Membership of FOPB
A Friend of Purley Barn should be someone who is actively involved in promoting activities within the Barn or who has a demonstrable interest in preserving the Barn as a community resource within the parish of Purley on Thames.
4. Membership of Committee
The committee (as hereinafter defined) will consist of a minimum of 6 members who are presently involved in promoting activities held in the Barn. The elected Parish Councillor with responsibility for the Barn will become a member. All members of the committee will have full voting rights.
5. Annual General Meetings
An Annual General Meeting of members of FOPB shall be held within 3 months of the end of each financial year for the purpose of receiving the Annual Report of the committee, of considering the accounts and of choosing Honorary Officers and members of the committee.
6. Extraordinary General Meetings
The Chairman of the committee, at their discretion, calls an Extraordinary General Meeting. The Chairman shall call an Extraordinary General Meeting within 14 days of receiving a written request to do so, signed by at least 4 members.
7. Honorary Members
At the Annual General Meeting the members of FOPB shall appoint a Chairman, Vice-chairman, Treasurer and Secretary. Members of the committee shall fill casual vacancies among the officers until the next annual appointment of officers.
8. The Committee
A committee consisting of the honorary members elected at the Annual General Meeting shall manage FOPB. The committee may co-opt people with specialist knowledge or experience, should the need arise. Co-opted members shall serve for such period as the committee shall decide and shall be honorary members.
9. Procedure at Meetings
(i) There shall be a minimum of 3 meetings per year
(ii) The Chairman or person presiding at any meeting shall have a second or casting vote
(iii) A quorum at any committee meeting shall be 4 members.
(iv) The Secretary shall keep minutes of meetings
- The financial year shall run from 1st September to 31st August.
- The Treasurer shall keep proper accounts of the finances of FOPB.
- There shall be 4 named signatories, cheques to be signed by any 2.
- The income and property of FOPB shall be applied solely towards the promotion of the object of FOPB as set out in clause 2. FOPB should liaise with the Clerk and Parish Council for guidance when determining expenditure of funds. Nothing shall be transferred directly or indirectly by way of dividend, bonus or otherwise to any member of FOPB with the exception of reasonable out-of-pocket expenses as agreed by the Treasurer to a maximum of E100. The committee must agree amounts of more than £100 in advance.
- At the end of each financial year the accounts shall be submitted to the Parish Council for independent examination. The accounts shall then be presented to the committee before submission to the FOPB Annual General Meeting for approval accordingly.
If the committee decides that on the ground of expense or otherwise it is desirable that FOPB should be dissolved, it shall call an Extraordinary General Meeting of FOPB by giving 21 days’ notice in writing to each FOPB member, stating the terms of any resolution to be proposed. If it is decided at the Extraordinary General Meeting by a simple majority of those present and voting that FOPB shall be dissolved, the Chairman shall wind up FOPB affairs. Any assets remaining after the satisfaction of all debts and liabilities shall be given to the Purley on Thames Parish Council for distribution for the benefit of residents of Purley on Thames.
12. Amendments to the Constitution
Amendments should be made by FOPB committee, be submitted to the Parish Council before being put before the FOPB Annual General Meeting.